Mrs Mavis Hawa Koomson the Member of Parliament for the Awutu Senya East has admitted guilt for her action which nearly distorted the voter registration process in her constituency on Monday, July 20, 2020.

Mrs Koomson, who is Minister-designate for the Fisheries on the said day rushed to Step to Christ polling centre at Kasoa after getting information that some individuals from another district were injected into her constituency to register there as voters.

Read Also: President Akufo Addo appoints acting Finance Minister

Her confrontation led to an enormous misunderstanding to which the honorable Mrs Koomson fired warning shots to “defend herself”.

Apologizing for her Rambo-style actions, Mrs Koomson on Thursday 18th, 2021 admitted that her action was dishonorable when she appeared before the Appointments Committee of Parliament.

She said, “Mr Chairman, I want to take this opportunity to apologize to the people who were so scared on that day.”

Mrs Koomson’s apology followed a question by the MP for Gushegu, Mr Hassan Tampuli on events that led to the firing of a gun by the minister-designate.

Responding to the question, Mrs Koomson added that “During the registration of voters there was an incident. But Mr Chairman, regrettably, it was an unfortunate incident which I wish it never happened. And I also pray that it never happens again in the history of our politics in Ghana.

“It was indefensee of myself because I felt my life was in danger with the circumstances that I found myself. That day, I thought I needed to save my life,” she explained.

“But Mr Chairman, I would also want to plead with this committee that the issue is before the police for investigations and I wouldn’t want to say much about it,” she added.

Read Also: Confirmed list of President Akufo Addo’s ministerial nominees drops

In a follow up question, the MP for Tamale South, Mr Haruna iddrisu, sought to find out why Mrs Koomson did not go to the polling centre with her bodyguard.

In her response, she said, “that day the bodyguard was not with me. It was as early as 6am. She had then not reported for duty.”